Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Remembering Rachmaninoff

When I was a junior in high school, I mastered the most difficult piano piece I've ever attempted: "Prelude in C-Sharp Minor" by Sergei Rachmanioff.

The fact the I have tiny hands and was still able to perfect this piece with its giant, pounding chords is nothing short of miraculous.  So once I bought a brand new baby grand piano back in October, I vowed to attempt to master this piece again.

The past couple of weeks I have been tinkering with it again, and lo and behold, it is coming back to me. I can't even describe to you the excitement I feel when I get to the middle section that moves at breakneck speed with its wide, arpeggiated chords and my fingers actually cooperate with me, playing most notes swiftly and competently. I was practicing this piece again today and despite the melancholy, macabre tone of the piece, I felt nothing short of joyful.



Slice of Life is brought to you by Two Writing Teachers

No comments:

Post a Comment