Monday, March 2, 2015

It's Read Across America Day. Do you know what many kids are doing in school today? Not celebrating reading.

I was perusing NCTE's Facebook feed last night when I came across a post asking teachers what their students would be doing for Read Across America Day. Do you know what many of them said?

Taking standardized tests.

I weep for children in school today who have to endure this horrible climate of testing that is robbing them of the joys of learning. I can only pray that the tide is beginning to turn.

In honor of Read Across America Day, I'd like to leave you with this thought:

"Reading is one of the most radical things you can do. It is no surprise that autocrats, from the destroyers of the Library at Alexandria to the Nazis and the Taliban, make a habit of burning books. Books give us access to knowledge, opinion, and debate. They open up all the possibilities that those who wish to control and oppress would deny us." - Peter Whittaker 

Students might think they're "sticking it to the man" by not reading, but history has shown, and what I'd like to show them is if you really want to "stick it to the man," read books.


No comments:

Post a Comment