Monday, August 17, 2015

On the First Day of School Eve...

I've been strangely chill and non-freaked out about this upcoming school year. School starts tomorrow but you'd think I still had two weeks left to plan the way I'm just hemming and hawing about stuff. It's not for lack of caring. It's just that this isn't my first rodeo. I'm coming up on year nine. I got this.

Plus, I've finally come to learn, thanks to the help of my amazing PLN of teachers, that building authentic relationships matter more than silly ice breakers, detailed syllabi, and giant posters of numbered classroom rules. So on this first week of school (and for the rest of the school year), here are some friendly reminders I've made for myself:

1) I will write with my students.
2) I will do daily book talks or read aloud to my students.
3) I will treat my students as individuals with unique needs and talents.
4) I will be a learner as well as a leader.
5) I teach students, not curriculum.

If I keep those things in mind, I know this is going to be a great year.

As I was getting pumped up for tomorrow, I decided to watch Penny Kittle's Book Love video that she made with her students because it's a nice reminder of the kind of teacher I want to be for my students.

No comments:

Post a Comment