Tuesday, August 18, 2015

First day of school stream of consciousness

Slice of Life is brought to you by Two Writing Teachers 

Well I got through it. My ninth first day of school as a teacher. Today was a half day but it felt like a full day. I've been home for a few hours already and haven't done anything but sit around. Yet I still feel like I got hit by a truck. No amount of napping can take this tired away. Why is the first day of school so incredibly exhausting?

I only got to spend 20 minutes with each of my three classes. Not enough to get to know much about them, but just enough to sense that this is a great group of kids and I'm going to have a lot of fun with them this year.

I can already feel great things happening, not just with my students, but with the staff this year as well. My commitment to help build a community of readers, not just in the classroom, but in our school, is already happening in small but wonderful ways. I created this bulletin board outside my classroom to share and celebrate the reading lives of our staff and to show students that reading is not a singular activity. It got a fantastic response. Also, my fabulous fourth grade colleagues, who went to Jillian Heise's session at nErDcampMI, are committing to reading a book a day with their classes. Book Love is spreading.


4 comments:

  1. However exhausting, you had such a wonderful response with that book love start, Beth. I am imagining that now, with your first day complete, you can really start. Have a wonderful rest of the week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So much went into the making of that this one short day. So it seems to me like it's kind of like working for five days straight and then putting it on stage for three hours.
    I too sat on the front porch swing slightly numbed, and tomorrow is actually our first day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds like it was a great first day!!! Those lucky students!!!!! I keep playing around with the book a day idea...I worry I will fail miserably!! Any tips?!?! Can't wait to hear more about these amazing students!

    ReplyDelete