Tuesday, June 2, 2015

Wherever you go, there you are

Last night I attended the 8th grade graduation of my last 6th grade class at my previous school. Getting hugs from former students, colleagues, and parents helped remind me how lucky I am to have had the privilege of teaching there for seven years.

And while I loved being back there for that brief moment, I was also thinking how I don't miss it either. When I made the decision to leave, I knew it was time. And being back there last night reminded me that each place we are at in our lives leads us to the next place, which is where I'm meant to be. So while I celebrated with my former students and was honored to be part of the pomp and circumstance, I was glad to see that they still thought of me fondly, but just as they are moving onto the next phase of their lives, I realized that being there last night was the closure I needed to show everyone else and myself that I had moved on to the next phase of mine.
These kids are ready to move on to high school!


Slice of Life is brought to you by Two Writing Teachers

1 comment:

  1. You have a true statement there, "each place we are at in our lives leads us to the next place." So many times we worry about the changes, but even whether they appear positive or negative, they are often stepping stones to something else we come to appreciate. I'm glad you found closure and enjoyed the evening.

    ReplyDelete