Sunday, January 17, 2016

Links Worth Talking About 1-17-16


Links Worth Talking About is my weekly post of curated links about education, books, and apropos of nothing.


 I hope you'll join us tonight at 8 PM ET on Twitter for the first #nctechat of 2016, hosted by members of the brand new NCTE Assembly on the Studies of Literacies and Multimedia (SLAM)


Speaking of #nctechat, remember that time Newbery Award-Winning author Matt de la Peña co-hosted the chat for Banned Books Week? I know I do. :)

I'm still so happy and thrilled about the news from earlier this week that Matt's book Last Stop on Market Street won the Newbery medal. After I heard the news, I read it to my students the next day without the pictures and asked them to write about what they thought made it distinguished. Many of them had trouble articulating just what made it distinguished, but even those who seemed a little dubious of this choice still could tell that there is something special about this book.


Caldecott medalist Sophie Blackall, illustrator of Finding Winnie, tries to put some of her feelings into words
 Kimberly Brubaker Bradley, author of the Newbery honor book The War That Saved My Life, talks about hope

Here's a great NPR interview with both the Newbery and Caldecott medalists. 

And Kevin English reminded me of this great video from last year's Caldecott medalist, Dan Santat, where he talks about his art influences. A wonderful mentor text to share with students to have them ponder their own artistic influences.

I found this Washington Post article fascinating:
The totes amazesh way millennials are changing the English language
I have a confesh: I am totes guilty of totesing. I approach language like a linguist, not a grammarian. I love studying (and participating in!) the ways in which culture causes language to evolve.

And speaking of millennials, John Green has some words for the adults in the room:
Stop patronizing young people and start listening
I've been saying this for a long time. You can either yell from your porch to "get off my lawn" or you can bother to listen to young people and seek to understand what they have going for them. If you hadn't noticed, all adolescents are self-absorbed. It's called being an adolescent. You were no different.

The book Quiet by Susan Cain changed my life. It made me realize that not only am I an introvert, This article really resonated with me because, yes, as an introvert, I abhor small talk. but that in a culture that only seems to embrace extroversion, it's time to find ways to value and nurture the introverts of the world.

An important article from the New York Times:
How Measurement Fails Doctors and Teachers





And apropos of nothing:
All the Times President Obama Lost His Chill Around Kids

No comments:

Post a Comment