Sunday, April 21, 2013

More ripples...

One week and over 5,000 views later, the "Why I stay" video continues to have a ripple effect.

More teachers are writing about why they stay...


Kevin Hodgson at Kevin's Meandering Mind:

"I thought you taught them writing and reading, dad?" my son asked.

"I do, but I teach them much more than that. I teach them about life. Writing gives them voice and reading gives them experience."


Kay McGriff at Mrs. McGriff's Reading Blog:

I want to share with  my students the power of words and stories to change their lives.


Mrs. Bennett at Used Books in Class:

My reason for “why I stay” is purely selfish.…I want to share the stories.

I want to share with children, teens, and adults the stories they have read, seen, or heard.

I want to share the stories in picture books.
I want to share the stories in chapter books.
I want to share the stories in the canon.


So, I teach students to read stories so that we can talk and share the stories that make us human.


On Wednesday, Sherry Gick sent me pictures of the bulletin board that  the teachers in her school are creating after watching the video. When she sent me the picture it was still a work-in-progress, but I am honored and humbled that the video inspired them to continue this conversation within the walls of their school.



Thank you to everyone who has sent me their stories and their reasons. Keep sending them to me. I'll keep posting them if you keep writing them!

1 comment:

  1. I love all the stories, and I love that you did this, because they need to be heard! I finally wrote mine today: http://ihabloespanglish.blogspot.com/2013/04/why-i-teach.html

    ReplyDelete