Sunday, December 20, 2015

Links Worth Talking About (Return from Hiatus Edition) 12-20-15


Links Worth Talking About is a weekly post of curated links about education, books, and apropos of nothing. This weekly list of links was inspired by my friend and blogger Elisabeth Ellington. I started to join her every Sunday on this endeavor but I took a short hiatus due to how frazzled I have been finishing up my last semester of grad school. I am here to announce that I am done and have earned my master's degree in English Studies from Eastern Michigan University. Huzzah!


 The following links are ones that I have been talking about for the past few weeks:


With all the hateful rhetoric spurred on by certain politicians these days, this story has made me not lose lose all faith in humanity:
Blindfolded Muslim Student Asks Fellow Auburn Students for Hugs

I'm currently reading Ta-Nehisi Coates's Between the World and Me. This Huffington Post list of curated links will certainly be a good supplement:
The Most Important Writing from People of Color of 2015
I loved this Boston Globe profile of Jason Reynolds and Brendan Kiely, authors of one of the most important YA novels of the year, All American Boys

I am so grateful to friends and colleagues who help me examine my own privilege. This blog post from Chris Lehman after NCTE was one of those examination of conscience moments for me. 

Kobe Bryant recently announced his retirement from basketball in the form of a poem. NPR's Bill Littlefield interviewed his former high school English teacher and it just made me so happy. 

If you love children's lit and you need a good laugh today, here is Travis Jonker's 2015 Children's Lit: The Year in Miscellanea post to get you out of your funk.

Show of hands. Anyone else have this problem with fancy notebooks? I know I do. 

Chronicle Books and First Book are pledging to donate a book to a child in need every time someone uses the #GiveBooks hashtag.

What are your favorite unconventional book dedications?
26 of the Greatest Book Dedications You Will Ever Read

Hip Hop music has the largest average vocabulary size
(But, you know, "kids these days" are ruining the English language as we know it)

I am convinced as the world is becoming more and more hateful that we need to teach empathy in schools and exercise it like a muscle. 
Six Ways to Flex Your Empathy Muscle

My friend Cheryl Mizerny wrote a post for Middle Web that references the NCTE presentation I gave with Kevin English, Amy Watkins, Lindsay Grady, and Dave Stuart, Jr.
 How Do We Teach and Have a Healthy Life?

Here are some great tips from Pernille Ripp about how to prepare students for a Skype visit

Given the title of my book blog, A Foodie Bibliophile in Wanderlust, I love this Nerdy Book Club post from Thursday:
Top Ten Books for Foodies

If you weren't in attendance to hear Laurie Halse Anderson give her acceptance speech at NCTE for the Intellectual freedom award, you can read the text on the NCTE blog

"Those of us who create for young readers know that our freedoms to think, speak, and write cannot bear fruit unless America respects the intellectual freedom of educators as well." - Laurie Halse Anderson

And finally, I hope you'll join #nctechat tonight to reflect on your 2015. Preview questions for tonight's chat on the NCTE blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment