Sunday, October 11, 2015

Links Worth Talking About 10-11-15


Links Worth Talking About is my weekly post of curated links about education, books, and apropos of nothing.

Don't forget: if you live in or near southeastern Michigan, you should totally come to EdCamp EMWP at Eastern Michigan University on October 24th.

In this NCTE Google Hangout on Air, Kim Parker talks about the importance of teacher research and why you should apply for an NCTE teacher research grant.
  

As someone who is an English teacher because I feared math in school (still do), this article resonated with me:
Does our approach to teaching math fail even the smartest kids? 

A powerful slam poetry performance:
On Standardized Testing by Olivia Fantini

As a fierce proponent of young adult literature, this article is a must-read for teachers who cast aspersions on this important literature:
A Letter to Teachers: Stop telling teens that you don’t like them!

Ann Arbor is my favorite city in Michigan, and Literati Bookstore is my favorite bookstore therein. Actually, it's probably my favorite bookstore in the whole wide world.
Literati and the Revival of  Ann Arbor Book Culture

A local newspaper did a profile on my friend Kevin English about his ILA 30 Under 30 Award. I was quoted in said article. :)  


And, of course, apropos of nothing:
 My husband and I have two pugs. If we ever get another pug, we shall name him Biggie Smalls, the Notorious P.U.G. 

Not only do I love that Jim Harbaugh returned to college football to coach Michigan because he seems to have turned the program around, but the dude is crazy entertaining to watch.

No comments:

Post a Comment