Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Reminders

Last year during poetry month I shared with my 6th graders the powerful spoken word poem "Knock Knock" by Daniel Beaty. My students were really moved by this performance and we spent a great deal of time in class talking about the meaning of the poem and there were some students who genuinely worried for the poet's well-being.

As I was reading Elizabeth Bird's Newbery and Caldecott predictions on her blog, A Fuse 8 Production, I came across a picture book I hadn't seen yet this year (probably because it doesn't come out until December) called Knock Knock and when I looked at the author I realized, "Oh my goodness! This book is based on the poem by Daniel Beaty!" It was at that moment I said to myself, "Oh! I can't wait to tell my class about this!" only to remember that I don't have a class to tell anymore.

It's those moments that tug at my heartstrings and make me realize how much I miss my students and room 202. But as I've mentioned before, there's definitely a duality to my feelings. I miss my students no question about that. What I don't miss is coming home exhausted every night only to have more work to do. I don't miss giving up my weekends and holidays to lessons I have yet to write and papers I have yet to grade. I am at a good place right now in my life. I have no stress and I'm enjoying the work I'm doing.

But my heart feels that tug every time I think about my students and makes me remember I have too much to share with kids to just give it all up.

I'll have my own classroom again someday. Of that I have no doubt. The only question is when.

No comments:

Post a Comment